16 February 2009

Anytime


By request, I looked up the difference between the word 'anytime' and the phrase 'any time'. Through various sources and research, I find some enlightening responses.

Basically, the word 'anytime' means 'at any time'. It is an adverb and it describes when a verb, an adjective, or another adverb takes place. I found a couple of great examples.

Anytime you need help, just ask. (When can I ask? Anytime.) You can visit anytime you want. (When can I visit? Anytime.)

The phrase 'any time' is a combination of a modifier (any) and a noun (time). It belongs in front of a preposition to complete a prepositional phrase. i.e. at any time.

You are welcome to visit at any time you want. I may not have any time this weekend. ('any' describes how much 'time' I may not have this weekend)

The sentence "The meeting can be scheduled any time" does not work. By adding a simple 'at' before the 'any' to make it a prepositional phrase makes the sentence correct in all the right ways.


I hope that helps. If worst comes to worst, and we all know it does, you could sit there dwelling over the sentence and ask yourself whether it works or not out loud. However, this action does not prevent people from thinking you are socially awkward.
The word and the phrase and certainly easy to mix up.

I also looked up something else.

Apparently, 'anyways' is slang and was invented during a dialect movement in America. A couple sources say that 'anyways' is incorrect and in every situation, one should always use 'anyway' with no 's'. Anytime you use the word 'anyway', make sure to leave off the 's'. I guess you truly do learn something new every day.
Everyday...every day....everyday?









Extra Postage Required: Use a bit more sense next time.






No comments:

Post a Comment